7 Responses to “Starving the Ego with the Help of Ayahuasca”

1. JackOctober 15, 2011 at 1:07 pm #

You might like to try:

The Myth, The Hero, And The Lie

where the author (a psychoanalyst and psychic channeler) claims that “a strong egoic identity” is necessary, both to keep one’s sanity, and to prevent one”self” from going overboard by identfying with some mythical heaven-like realm.

Further, he claims that, “As a psychotherapist, I find it highly destructive and downright dangerous to involve oneself in ego-bashing in the name of spirituality. I see this kind of thing all the time, and in every case there is a compromise of one’s psychological health. [...T]he ego is a mechanism of consciousness (or Mind) that has one sole purpose-to navigate with a sense of personal identity through the myriad experiences of life.”

“The goal is not to remain in the mythic realm although it is highly seductive to do so. Rather it is to bring back into the human realm those insights and energies that are of benefit to us and to our sangha (spiritual community). Then we are balanced. One foot in heaven, one foot on the ground [...].”

2. Matthew P.October 24, 2011 at 3:23 am #

Some months ago Lisa was really getting into her meditation and said that if the ego was going to go, then she was going to throw a party for it. Some hours later, apparently upon reflection, she came into the bathroom where I was brushing my teeth and said, with a straight face, “I’m not sure who is throwing the party.”

3. jeronimo m.m.October 29, 2011 at 1:34 pm #

Yes, many times ayahuasca can also feed the ego

• adminNovember 11, 2011 at 2:24 pm #

Yes, ayahuasca can also feed the ego. Without vigilance the ego will take anything it experiences and convinces us that it is our own, this includes spiritual experiences. At the same time any spiritual practice can feed the ego or in this case the spiritual ego. The ego is a tricky little guy. Awareness of these pitfalls and vigilance are absolutely KEY in any spiritual pursuit. There have been many teachers who have risen in consciousness only to fall back down due to the ego via money, power and sex.

4. DavidJanuary 3, 2012 at 7:18 am #

It is fashionable in spiritual circles to demonize the ego, and say it is the cause of all our problems. I would simply ask this: Why does it exist in the first place? It has it’s function in the world of duality. It helps keep us alive. There is self, and there is other (than self). My goal is not to transcend this life, or get out of it, and go to the next plane. My goal is simply to be smoother and more skillful at balancing the needs of self and other in this life, such that there is more good feeling and less conflict. This life is a gift, not a curse. I feel it’s about balance. Let’s not seek to “kill the ego”. Who is killing what, anyhow? Putting it on a diet appeals. In order to do that we need to appreciate a “different source of nourishment.” The ego slims as we focus more from ma differnt place. Can we do this with awareness but not struggle? Must we have an adversary? I think not.

5. ChristopherJanuary 18, 2012 at 12:52 am #

I am always trying to catch myself when I am thinking negative thooughts about someone or something to feel better about myself. I am committed to practicing healthier habits of unconditional love and humility because of the sadness I experience when I act negatively. I look forward to visiting your camp and raising my consciousness to higher levels to maintain a happier, healthier life. Thank you for the e-book.

6. Julio EJune 13, 2012 at 3:43 pm #

Aya is a magnificent tool to open your awareness to the tricks of the ego. Starving is a good concept to “fight” it, killing it is more a trap than a solution as most likely the ego will beat you to death if killing it is your main purpose. Killing carries the seed of the ego in itself, it almost a self-defeating goal. You have better chances by starving it. What happens is that if you go deeper most egos act as entities that you have attached to your aura and make you believe they are part of you, and take control of your human machine and you thing is you. When you effectively starve them by not allowing it to take over your machine, then most of them (the less powerful) tend to abandon your vehicle and you feel released or free from some tendencies. Others however, will never leave you until the very end, lust for example. Lust has the powerful ally of your genetically programmed impulse to reproduce and uses it to make you do the most terrible things outside or to live a darkish inner live in your mind. The problem is too complex but i congratulate the author to bring the subject out to public discussion. Blessings.